Header
Rutland Water Benefice

St Mary's Church

St Mary's Church, MantonThe church of St Mary at Manton is unusual in that is has no tower - distinctive as most of the churches in our parish and the surrounding area have towers.

The earliest church was probably from the 12th century and consisted of an aisle-less building with small square ended chancel. About 1200 a north aisle was added, together with an extra bay at the west end, increasing the nave to its present length.

In the 14th century a chantry college was founded inside the church.

The chancel was almost entirely rebuilt in 1796 and externally is entirely from that period. There was a restoration of the fabric in 1887, and the chancel was re-roofed in 1894.

The two bells were recast by Taylor and Co. of Loughborough in 1920. There is a War Memorial Cross in the churchyard.

Records of Births, Deaths and Marriages

In Manton we have records of all Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1573-1960. Information from 1573-1812 are hard copy only but 1813-1960 are electronic. Anyone wishing to find out more details could email: John Cowan or phone John on 01572 737503. Whilst a donation towards the church would be appreciated, it is not essential.


Printer Printable Version