Go back to normal view
The church of St Peter and St Paul at Wing probably dates back to an aisle-less building from around 1140. Some parts of the building date from Norman times, including the south arcade of about 1150, the slightly later north arcade and the north doorway.
Until the end of the 14th century it seems likely that the church had no tower, but only a western bell-cote. The present tower was built around 1380-1400, and to make room for it, the western bay of the nave was shortened and the west responds and half an arch on each side taken down, the tower being constructed partly within the nave.
The church consists of chancel with north organ chamber and vestry, clearstoried nave north and south, north porch and west tower.
Owing to the unsafe state of the tower, the spire was taken down in 1840 and has not been rebuilt. The tower was, however, restored in 1903.
In 1875 the chancel was wholly rebuilt, the organ chamber and vestry extending its full length. In 1885 the south aisle was rebuilt, a south porch and west gallery removed, the nave restored and the north porch added.
There are memorial tablets to nine men of the parish who fell in the war of 1914-19 and a monument to Lieut. A. F. Taverner (d. of wounds, 1916).
There are five bells, the first three by Robert Taylor of St. Neots 1789, the fourth inscribed "Gloria in Excelsis Deo", and the tenor by Thomas Newcombe of Leicester inscribed "S. Taddee".
Two roundels of painted glass, formerly in the windows of the north aisle, are now in the vestry windows: one from the 14th century depicts the head of our Lord, the other is a yellow foliated quatrefoil on a red ground.